Posting Date: February 28, 2019
Closing Date: March 22, 2019
The Federal Public Defender for the Southern District of Ohio is accepting applications for the position of Trial Paralegal to be stationed in the Cincinnati office. The Federal Public Defender operates under the authority of the Criminal Justice Act (CJA), 18 U.S.C. §3006A, to provide defense services for indigent persons in federal criminal cases and related matters in the federal courts.
Requirements: The successful applicant MUST have:
- A four-year college degree and paralegal certificate,
- Three years of paralegal experience,
- Strong analytical abilities with experience in organization, review, analysis and presentation of complex cases or cases with extensive discovery,
- Computer experience which includes proficiency in litigation support, databases, and case management software, with the ability to review different formats of electronic discovery,
- Trial preparation experience,
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills,
- Ability to deal with many different types of people, resourcefulness, creativity, initiative, drive, tact and discretion,
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Criminal defense work AND federal court experience is helpful but not required. Knowledge of Adobe, Word, Excel, dtSearchFor (similar to ISYS), CaseMap, and Trial Director is a strong plus. A reliable vehicle and a valid driver’s license is required, as travel will be necessary.
Duties: This position includes but is not limited to:
- Providing case management support on complex cases,
- Assisting in development and presentation of evidence in court proceedings,
- Litigation support at evidentiary hearings and trials,
- Assisting in imaging and OCRing of paper documents,
- Objective and subjective coding and/or forensic analysis of case material, loading ESI materials into a repository/database, using “analytic” software tools and native formats,
- Reviewing and analyzing discovery and other case documentation,
- Identifying, locating and gathering records,
- Obtaining and verifying documents and evidence,
- Assisting attorneys in trial, hearings and sentencing preparations.
The successful candidate will be subject to a background check as a condition of employment, and additional government clearance could be needed for some cases.
Salary and Benefits: This position will work 4 days (32 hours) a week. Starting salary will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the applicant. This position is excepted service and does not carry the tenure rights of the competitive Civil Service. The position does offer federal government employment benefits including health and life insurance, retirement and the Thrift Savings Plan. Salary is payable only by Electronic Funds Transfer (direct deposit).
Application Information: Qualified applicants should send a letter of interest, current detailed resume and three references in PDF format to OHS_employment@fd.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with priority given to applications received before March 22, 2019. All application information is subject to verification.
Employees of the Federal Public Defender are members of the judicial branch of government; they are considered ‘at will’ and can be terminated with or without cause.
The Federal Public Defender, Southern District of Ohio is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The FDO provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be made on a case- by-case basis. One or more applicants may be selected from this posting. This position is subject to the availability of funds.