Assistant Federal Defender
Posting Date: April 9, 2019
Closing Date: May 15, 2019
Western Kentucky Federal Community Defender, Inc., the community defender organization serving the Western District of Kentucky, is soliciting applications for the position of full time Assistant Federal Defender. Western Kentucky Federal Community Defender, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation funded by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts which provides legal representation to individuals charged with federal crimes who are financially unable to retain counsel. Western Kentucky Federal Community Defender, Inc. is not an agency of the federal government, and staff members are not federal employees.
An Assistant Federal Defender must have a commitment to the representation of indigent clients, a reputation for personal integrity, and meet the following qualifications.
- Current member of the Kentucky bar or willing to become licensed as a member of the Kentucky bar;
- Experience in the area of criminal defense, preferably in the federal court system;
- Extensive trial experience;
- Excellent oral communication;
- Computer literacy;
- Proven research and writing skills;
- The ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
An Assistant Federal Defender must be (1) a United States citizen or authorized to work in the United States; (2) licensed by the highest court of a state, federal territory, or the District of Columbia; and (3) a member in good standing in all courts where admitted to practice. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Western Kentucky Federal Community Defender, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
- Letter of interest;
- Resume with three professional references familiar with applicant's legal skills;
- Recent writing sample that has not been edited by others
Application Deadline is May 15, 2019. No telephone inquiries.