Administrative Supervisory Attorney
Posting Date: September 3, 2019
Closing Date: Until filled
Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc. is looking for an experienced attorney with no less than five years’ experience in a federal or community defender office to serve as a third-level supervisor. This Administrative Supervisory Attorney will be a member of FDSDI’s core Management Team and will report to the Executive Director. The Management Team engages in systematic review of issues arising in the office and attempts to resolve them in a fair, deliberate, and timely fashion to ensure effective communication, efficiency, consistency, and accountability. This position will not require, nor possibly permit, any case-related work.
The Administrative Supervisory Attorney:
- Supervises attorneys and legal staff members in order to provide clients with prompt, courteous and zealous legal
- Ensures that staff attorneys are provided adequate support staff and services in order to represent their
- Communicates in a supervisory capacity with the court, opposing counsel, clients and the families of clients concerning case-related
- Analyzes organizational structure and recommends policy implementation to defender. Identifies, communicates, and positively resolves internal problems which might negatively impact the operation of the defender
- Initiates personnel actions involving all staff members when Actions may include: assisting the Executive Director with employee hiring and job termination, drafting performance appraisals, participating in mediation, negotiation, and disciplinary actions.
- Oversees operations of the defender organization, and ensures that costs are kept within allocated budget levels. Participates in financial and procurement management.
- Acts as a liaison for FDSDI with community advocacy groups, the public, and the media.
- Oversees the production of FDSDI’s Defending a Federal Criminal Case. This includes assigning writing and editing duties, ensuring deadlines for production are met, evaluating additional topics/content for inclusion, vetting printer, distributors, e-commerce sites, communicating with DSO, overseeing sales and inventory of the DFCC for the life of the project (3-5 years), and overseeing support for download/distribution related
- Participates as a fiduciary member of the FDSDI’s Pension
- Oversees the annual review of FDSDI’s insurance policies and health/medical benefits.
- Conducts and drafts evaluations of staff as
- Ensures compliance with FDSDI timekeeping and case closing
- Oversees attorney recruitment and hiring in conjunction with FDSDI’s Attorney Hiring
- Participates in hiring of all
- Approves overtime for non-exempt
- Performs all other duties as
SALARY AND BENEFITS.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. This position includes health insurance, life insurance, and 401k. Salary is payable only by direct deposit. All positions are at-will and are subject to the availability of funds. Employment is subject to a satisfactory background investigation. All education, experience, training, and certifications will be verified.
FEDERAL DEFENDERS OF SAN DIEGO, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Selection of position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and religious grooming), sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity (including transgender identity and transitioning), gender expression and sex stereotyping, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition or information (including genetic information), family care or medical leave status, military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, enrollment in a public assistance program, engaging in protected communications regarding employee wages, requesting a reasonable accommodation on the basis of disability or bona fide religious belief or practice, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.
HOW TO APPLY.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume highlighting relevant skills and experience to Kathryn Nester, Executive Director, Kathy_Nester@fd.org. Position open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER